Saturday, November 29, 2008

7 Weeks Will Do That To You...

Just looked at the calendar:  this is the 7th week since Chicago.  The 7th week that I've pretty much done nothing.  The last 7 weeks has seen all of that fitness I had over the summer vanish like a virgin on prom night (bonus points to anyone who recognizes the movie).

I ran 4.2 miles with T on Thursday in the Gobble Wobble fun run (no numbers, no timing) and it about freakin' killed me.  We ran with some new friends and I felt really bad because I know that T and I were the anchor that slowed them down.  Then today we went out for an easy 4 mile run - intentionally chose the flattest route we could and we still only managed 3.6 before we were both ready to throw in the towel.  Did I mention that my heart rate was over 160 at one point during today's run?  I haven't felt this out of shape or struggled this much running in awhile...

so long in fact that when I got home I pulled up my running log from 2007 to check something.  Yep, I haven't felt like this sine June of 2007 after running the HM at the Flying Pig and struggling in a 5k here.  I didn't start making progress that summer until I slowed down and actually built some aerobic base - running easy paced runs between 11:00-11:30 per mile.  Runs that felt like a complete and utter struggle.

Well, guess what?  I'm back there so I'm going to try the same strategy, because I need to do something different to try and get back into the swing of things.  Training for Toledo/Glass City (still not sure if it will be a full or a half) starts on 12/22.  Need to get my ass in gear.

2 comments:

EC said...

It's in you, Utah.

Frankie said...

Youll come around KP! Funny thing, when you Google that quote, your blog entry is the 7th listing for the quote =)