Saturday, February 03, 2007

Winter’s Baaaaack!

Current conditions here in Grand Rapids (as of 2:53 pm, EST):
Temp 9F
Wind chill -10F
Snow depth (measured in front of the apartment) 18” (it was 12” when we went to bed last night)
Winds 21 mph, with gusts up to 33 mph

So basically it is freaking cold here, the wind is kicking up the snow into near white out conditions. Things are so less-than-ideal on the roads that the two biggest malls in town closed at 2 pm today!!!! When the weather grinds things to a halt in Michigan you know it’s bad.


Here is some perspective on the weather. These were all taken this morning:

The car was completely clean of snow when we went to bed last night.

Me in our backyard – yes the snow is almost up to my knees – after T and I walked to the grocery store on the corner. Yes, we got some pretty strange looks from people.


T all bundled up. Doesn’t she look like she’s enjoying herself?


Vain attempt at a snow angel.

Needless to say the weather has wreaked havoc on my training!! The cold is one thing: I have all the necessary cold-weather gear, but the foot and a half of snow on the ground – let’s just say that no one is going out to shovel or snow-blow their walks – makes things a bit treacherous. In addition, my safety advisor (T) has said in no uncertain terms: I’m not allowed out to run, and with no treadmill here (it was that or the TV, I chose the TV) and not being able to get to the Y, no run for me today. Managed to get 13 miles in this week without completely killing my calf, which is actually getting better, but I was scheduled to do over 30 miles this week. I have fallen off the plan a bit, and now the weather isn’t co-operating with me!!!!! Times like this, miss Eugene even more. Guess I’m just going to have to get my ass out of bed and make it to the Y before work, and then hit the Y again after work if I’m going to get the mileage I need in. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, so you know that I'm no big fan of the coast, and that my wife would trade places with you any day because of her morbid love for snow, but just thought that you'd like to know that we have had more than one week in a row with no rain here in the beautiful bay area. Sweet!

I guess the groundhog didn't see his shadow because the snow was over his head?

--Erin