Monday, February 19, 2007

The Sun Can Do Amazing Things

I figured out why the weather here has been bothering me so much on the way home from work one day last week. The sun, or more accurately the lack of sunshine. I know, I know...you're thinking to yourself - KP you lived in the PNW for four years, you had to be used to the sun not shining in the winter! - and you would be right. However, there is one MAJOR difference between the two regions.

In the PNW the winter is the grey-rainy season. Everything is wet. Everything is also green: the grass, the trees (at least the fir), etc. Things look alive.

Here in West MI everything is currently covered by multiple feet of snow. To say the landscape is stark would be an understatement.

Well, finally at the end of last week and this weekend the sun has been out, and now I'm normally not someone who likes to bask in sunlight (the whole fair-skinned issue) but wow is it nice to see again.

Running schedule for the week:
Monday - active rest (some stretching/strengthening, maybe some yoga)
Tuesday - 4 miles E
Wednesday - active rest or off (morning baseball practice and home hoops game that night)
Thursday - 13 miles...well I'm supposed to do 4x1 mile T w/ 1 min rest + 3x1 mile T w/ 1 min rest with warm-up/cool-down. Not sure I'm going to be able to do this at one time so I'm considering splitting it up - morning outside, afternoon at the Y.
Friday - 4 miles E
Saturday - 4 miles E
Sunday - 14 miles - 4x5-6 min T w/ 1 min rest + 1 hour E + 15-20 min T + warm-up/cool-down

I'm following Daniels Running Formula plan: E = easy pace, T = tempo pace for all you non-runners reading this.

That works out to 5 scheduled runs and 39 scheduled miles. I'll let you know how I do.

1 comment:

Jodi Schneider said...

Its called seasonal affective disroder mr parker. Spend some time in front of some xray boxes, youll feel better!! haha