Saturday, February 17, 2007

Frustrations

Here it is the 17th day of February, 2006 and I am waaaaay behind in my preparations for May 6. Enough behind that I’m starting to doubt my ability to be successful that day, and I’m not gauging success on anything big like a BQ or a sub-4 hour finish time. The first goal, I don’t want to look like a complete un-prepared idiot (use your imagination or refer to last weeks episode of “How I Met Your Mother”), secondly I would like to finish between 4:30 and 4:45. At this point I’m not sure if either one of those are attainable.

I am completely frustrated by two things:

1) The weather of West Michigan* completely blows if you are a runner who likes to run in the daylight, on dry pavement, and you have a full-time job. The sun doesn’t come up here until about 7:45 a.m. this time of year. The snow arrived about a month late (damn January and the 40-50F weather that spoiled us) and won’t leave! Since the “Blizzard of 2007” we’ve probably gotten over 3 feet of snow and most of it is still on the ground. Makes it hard to get in a good workout and the people at the Y look at you funny when you try to do 10+ miles on the treadmill.

2) My right calf/lower leg has been bothering since about the time the snow started. T has me on a rehab program (and it is working) but like most of the people I deal with, I want this better, now!

So due to the above I have not been able to get in quality miles, or miles period. I went from 76 miles in Nov, 82 miles in Dec, 83 miles in Jan to 33 miles so far in Feb. There are 11 weeks until the Flying Pig. I’ve got serious work in front of me, just as work ramps up with spring sports. At least the weather is supposed to begin improving next week – the highs are supposed to be above freezing.

Please excuse the above as the ramblings of a crazy person.

*people have been living here and running for years, I just need to find a way to make it work

1 comment:

ec said...

You should do what I do with golf. just think about playing and call it "visualization." Tell people you are preparing for your performance.

On second thought, I suck at golf, and it's probably from not playing as much. Plus, I won't hurt myself by golfing on occasion, whereas you could mess yourself up by running the Pig unprepared. Buy a pair of REI snowshoes to go with all that fancy Christmas gear and get running, you loser!

--Erin