Saturday, October 17, 2009

Twas The Night Before....

A 13.1 mile "race".

I put the " " around the word race simply because I am drastically under prepared for the Grand Rapids Half Marathon tomorrow.

I ran an easy 6 miles this morning. I checked my log: today's run was the longest I've run since Sept. 6. That day I only did 9.8 miles. For my last run in double digits I have to go back to Aug 23. If you look at a calendar, that's 8 weeks ago.

Can I run 13.1 miles tomorrow? Yes.

Can I race 13.1 miles tomorrow? Probably.

Can I have a time that is comparable to my best efforts in a half marathon? Most likely not.

So what is my goal for tomorrow?

I would like to finish with a time under 2:15:00. Why? Because besides the aborted Glass City Marathon in April (a DNF at the halfway point with a time of 2:22:18) my first attempt at a half marathon here in 2006 was 2:15:06 (a 10:19 pace). I think I can do better than that tomorrow and I'll find out in about 12-13 hours from now.

No comments: