Wednesday, December 17, 2008

But It's A Good Hurt

Remember this post?

Well off/on since then I've been having some left hip/glute/hamstring issues.  Finally broke down and decided to see someone about it, because it had gotten to the point that I was having to stop 5-6 times every run to stretch and then after the run I would have a lot of achy pain in that leg.

Had my first session of ART yesterday.  I did my research and it's legit.  Hell, if I could figure out a way for my employer to pay for the cost of the lower extremity course ($2190.00) I would attend one and acquire the certification/skill myself!

It took about 30 minutes for him to work on my glutes, adductors, and IT band and at one point I thought I offended him with my colorful language as he was digging into my glute/piriformis and asking me to move my leg.  But, the relief was almost immediate.  Driving home no discomfort that I normally get.  Sitting around the house last night no discomfort that I normally get.  My leg feels better today and I'm actually looking forward to my next appointment because I really think this is going to work and get me back running like I was last spring.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Looking forward to comparing notes, esp. after our Friday appts.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I'm anxious to follow your progress with ART.

I would totally freak out about the pain (and the build up to the appointment because of the pain - I'd probably cancel).

Hope it continues to work out for you.

solarpowered said...

This is some great news!!!

I'd probably curse out loud from the pain, too. Hell -- my post LR or post marathon massages almost make me yell out!

EC said...

You know, being back in school, i really miss the exposure to alternative stuff that we just never learned in college. My first boss was great about that, back before Myofascial release was accepted widely, etc. Establishment folks can be so closed-minded. Let me know how it goes.

--erin

Frankie said...

Great news on the improvement KP! I do have a question about ART. I see most of the Drs who do ART in my area are chiropractors. How much different is ART than what chiropractors normaly do? Shoot me a PM on Kick if you want.