Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Safe Haven

I had some time to kill today...see, I had to be at work from 10:30 until around 12:30-1, but then I had a break until 5 pm when I needed to be here for the game tonight. So I had lunch with a friend. Great conversation. I had an errand to run, but that would only occupy about 15 minutes tops. So I needed some place to kill about an hour or so...

I chose to go to a place I always feel at home in, and killing an hour isn't the problem - the problem is being able to pull myself out of there in just an hour. Where is this magical place?

A bookstore.

Just roaming the aisles, pulling the occassional book off the shelf and reading a few pages before moving on to the next item that caught my attention. Not feeling any pressure to buy - not that I'm allowed to buy anything for myself, house rule: no buying anything for yourself before you birthday - but just browsing, losing myself in the myriad options and escapes that are before me.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Love killing time in bookstores. Even better is used bookstores. Not sure I would be able to comply with the not buying part though.

solarpowered said...

I can spend HOURS in the bookstore! Love it!

Maria said...

Bookstores are one of my most favorite places to be!!

Kris said...

I love the bookstore! There is a huge Half-Price Books very close to campus, and a B&N and Borders both about 2 min from my apt.