Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Friends, Part III

A recent post by a friend on kickrunners has prompted some thinking here on my part about friends and friendships again, hence the "Part III" above.

Friendships flow and ebb over time, you meet new friends that fill holes in your life (whether you knew that hole was there or not) or that take the place of a friendship that has changed. Friends and friendships are dynamic basically.

During a discussion with the aforementioned friend I made the comment that while the duration of the friendship shouldn't be overlooked entirely, the intensity of the friendship - what that person means to you - is pretty important as well. At least to me it is...I have been friends with people going on 15 years now and they mean a lot to me, but at the same time some of those friendships have ebbed due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, and in the last two years or so I've made new friends that mean the world to me.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've realized every friendship is different and we shouldn't try and compare one to another.

I just feel fortunate at this point in my life that I have people that are willing to stand up and say to the world that they are my friend.

2 comments:

sneakersister said...

Hey kp, I completely agree with you. I've had so many situational friends in my life ... time and place friends ... and the friendship was so intense and close it was as if we were soul mates or something. Friendship is one of the most important things in life, IMO. We are lucky to have every single friend.:)

Her Roo-ness said...

like...
do i have to have a beer in my hand and stand up and make an announcement.... or????
:)