Sunday, January 06, 2008

First of 2008

First book read in 2008: The Alchemist

I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and I have been digesting it for a day or two now. The book talks about how “the universe conspires in helping you achieve it.” - It being your destiny or Personal Legend.

I’ve always believed that in life things work out the way they are supposed to…for example, in my own personal time on this planet:

My first job out of grad school was not the best job; it was in an out of the way place and the school was located in a very, very small, rural town. There was no healthy social life to speak of…I’ve often referred to it as the longest 18 months of my life. However, if I hadn’t met some of my coworkers there I would not have been in the position to transition to my second job.

My second job was much better personally and professionally, but the key event of my tenure there was a trip to Nashville that some of us took in late August, 2000. That was the night that I met T.

Call it fate, destiny, or life conspiring to get me where I needed to be I truly believe that the events of October, 1997, through July, 1999, put in motion a series of events that placed meeting T in my path. I won’t go so far as to say it was fate we ended up together – it took too much work on my part to convince her to continue to go out with me!

I remind myself of this when I find myself questioning “why did I do this?” Why did I take that job in Oregon where I had to drive 52 miles one way to work? Because by taking that job I was able to impress the AD at the high school and then he helped me get the job in Eugene.

Things work out like they are supposed to.

The book also talks about omens, and paying attention to them. I’ve been thinking about that and in all honesty, that is the part I’m still digesting. More on that later.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I just love reading when you talk about T. :)