Thursday, January 11, 2007

Thinking Deeply

I had a conversation with a good friend on Monday night on my way home. We talked about many things, had some laughs, etc. Something he said has gotten me thinking. We both work in intercollegiate athletics (although he works at a MUCH larger institute of higher learning) but his job has a bit more pressure as a part of it and some different issues to deal with. He mentioned “quality of life” and it has stuck with me the last 2-3 days…hell, I even jotted down some “notes/thoughts” while sitting at hoops practice Tuesday.

So, what is it to me? You? I’m pretty sure that it is an individual definition. Is it having free time away from work? Maximizing that free time? Have enough money to go places, do things? It is not letting work rule your life?

So far I’ve been able to come up this list:
The ability to leave work at work.
Maximizing time away from work to do things I want to do.
Having hobbies (and actually doing them – something I’m working on this year) or other constructive ways to spend that time away from work.

I’ve also been thinking does my current job (and future jobs I might be interested in) allow for this…and I think it does. The onus is on me to take advantage of the opportunity and produce that quality of life for myself.

I just need to get off my ass and produce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it when my friends think deeply. Most;y, I buy into what you came up with.

Here's another thing I thought of though...

I have been happiest when work wasn't just something that I did leave at work. During those times that I loved my job, being there was awesome too.

But those times come and go.

--Erin