Sunday, January 14, 2007

New Gadget Part 2

Smartphone...Mr. Cramer asked had I considered one. Yes, even went so far as to look at them. Here is what I found:

Screen size is typically about 2.2" diagonally on a windows based smartphone. Not willing to switch to Palm - I like Windows software - so that is too small for me. I actually do create simple spreadsheets and word documents with my pocket pc.

Cost of the unit is not too prohibitive, however the cost of the phone plans are. If I'm going with the smartphone I want to be able to send/receive email with it, so you have to have a data plan in addition to your phone plan so add on about $40 a month. Then the question is, am I really that isolated from a computer enough that I need to be able to send/receive email?

So while they may look cool (you know they do) I'm not ready to make that kind of leap - just yet. Now, if I could convince my employer that would be another issue entirely!

No comments: