Thursday, January 06, 2011

I Just Don't Get It

NBC's "Biggest Loser" just had its 11th season premier Tuesday night.  I've watched some of the show in years past (the amount of tears/crying/whoa-is-me was the biggest turn-off for me) but honestly I do not understand the appeal of the show.  Plus when you factor in the controversy from a few years back about the marathon-than-wasn't-quite-26.2 it's really not a show, or a concept that I really want to support by watching.

But you know what?  I think the whole concept is flawed.  It should be easy to lose weight when you're in an isolated environment, healthy food is provided, and the only thing on your appointment sheet that day (and for every day for several weeks) is to workout!

I know they send the finalists home for a number of weeks and the ultimate winner is the one who keeps losing weight and loses the most percentage of their starting weight.  Great, give that person some prize cash!  The winning amount, I think, is $250,000.  Give that person $25,000.  Then have another weigh-in in 6 months.  The "biggest loser" then should get $75,000.  Then have the three come back another 6 months later for the last weigh-in...and give that person the last $150,000.

Because shouldn't the focus of the show be who can maintain the healthy lifestyle the longest?

It's all smoke and mirrors and Hollywood hype.  Thanks, but no thanks.

1 comment:

Maria said...

J & I stopped watching a couple seasons ago b/c of these very reasons + I couldn't handle the drama and bs that happen each and every season. I like your rules better!