Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What's Old Is New Again

At the beginning of this decade I was someone who utilized a Franklin (now Franklin Covey) planner to stay organized. I was working outside of Nashville, TN, and trying to keep all the responsibilities that went into my job; including but not limited to football, men's basketball, men's/women's tennis, supervising graduate assistants, and teaching class, so I used the planner.

Then technology took over. I've gone from a PDA, to a smartphone, to an iPhone now. Love it. I was able to shed the bulky paper planner and streamline everything into one place. Or two if you count the iMac at home.

But after much contemplation too many things were still falling through the cracks - I've felt I was behind the eight ball for most of 2009 and always felt like I was playing catch up - I'm going back to organizing at least work stuff (still a large number of sports and teaching responsibilities) with a new, thinner, less bulky version of the Franklin planner. I'll let you know how it pans out...

But, the to me the thing that hits home the most? It's a decade later and I still haven't managed to get organized.

2 comments:

EC said...

Franklin is a neat idea but it takes a certain discipline...which you have, and a certain submission of will...which you don't.

I never felt empowered when using the system. More like controlled.

Look into "getting things done" by David Allen. I lik it a little more (but still fumble along).

solarpowered said...

I still love post-its. Make a list, stick it where I'll see it, toss it when complete. :)

Happy New Year!