Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What Makes A Runner?

That's a question I've mulled and pondered for a while now, and a question that T and I have debated on many a run together and finally I think I've come up with a answer that I'm comfortable with...well, maybe I'm taking too much credit. Follow the link below and then come back:


I think that essay says it succinctly and elegantly.

Being a runner isn't about how many miles you run, PRs, or if you've run a marathon or not (or how long it took you). It's not about how many days a week you run, or how many days in a row - you just have to run, and I'm not criticizing the people those things are important to because being a runner is about making running a healthy part of your life. Yeah, we all have goals: some want to BQ, some want to break 20:00 for a 5k, some want to run a sub 4 hour marathon, some want to run ultras, and some just want to escape into their head on their daily 6 miler and may never sign up for a race. All of those are runners because running is part of who they are.

So you can argue jogger vs runner, real runner vs someone who Gallowalks, but I'm not going to participate in those anymore. I've found my answer: if you've made running a part of you then you're one of us. Welcome to the club and the more the merrier.

No comments: