Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Could It Be That Simple?

First of all, to answer your question Cindi:

I'm still using Pfitzinger's 55 mile per week, 18 week plan (from the first edition of Advanced Marathoning) with some modifications.  My previous post showed how I'm switching the days of the week around and I've also switched some of the quality works based on this article.  I've taken the lactate threshold work and moved it into the last phase/mesocyle and moved the VO2 max-interval work into this phase/mesocycle.  Keep checking here for how it is going.

So how is it going you're probably asking?  Great.  Today's run was supposed to be 10 miles with 5x1000m at 5k pace with 2 minutes recovery.  I only managed 7.5 miles and the 5x1000m.  I was running on the indoor track at school.  1 mile = 9 laps.  Yep, I ran 68 laps around that damn thing today.  Hit my time on every one of those 1000m segments and got all 5 of 'em in a total time of 24:35.  Which just happens to be 48 seconds faster than my 5k PR time (long story:  my 5k PR is soft.)

But the question I really want to answer is the one in the title to this post:

I got to work early to get my run done.  I had to take stuff to shower and clothes for the day.  I didn't have time to take a lunch so I had to make a trip during the day.  I had the normal number of athletes needing to see me (with some new ones thrown in for good measure).  Work has been stressful here lately.  But today?  Not so much.  Mood was better.  Attitude was better.  Why?  My conclusion?

Because I ran.  Could it be that simple?  I think it might just be.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

It is ABSOLUTELY that simple! 3 work days a week I get up at 4:30 and run and, without question, my mood is better on those days and the B.S. that I have to deal with at work doesn't seem quite so bad. I find when I don't start my day off with a run, it's in the back of my mind that I have to squeeze it in later. Then when the work stress starts, it seems worse because it is potentially interfering with my workout.

I bet Solar would agree!

Your modification of the vomax and lactate threshold workouts interests me. I'm thinking of ditching the vomax workouts completley from the plan I'm modifying. They seem like they stress the body too much, making it more difficult to recover and don't give you that much more benefit for a marathon. I'm thinking of switching all of them for tempos. I'm gonna go read the article you link to now.

solarpowered said...

:D I absolutely, completely agree.

It can be tough to get up sooooo early, pack shower/work clothes/lunch stuff, and get out the door, but it is so worth it each time.

That is a very interesting marathon training article. Thanks for posting that. It sounds like you've got some good stuff happening, Kevin!

Mindi said...

Kevin,

I just found your blog off Cindi's link. Very interesting - I look forward to tracking your progress. Training can be oh so difficult with work, life, etc.! Good luck at toledo - I look forward to tracking you