Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Update

Just returned (ok, returned yesterday) from the first Thanksgiving with the family in 5 years, and the first Thanksgiving in Cincinnati in probably 10 years. First things first: it was great to see the family – niece, nephews, sister, brother (short bursts are ok), mom and dad. Sprinkle in some friends (great time Friday night Hack!) and it was a great time.

Thursday morning I ran the 97th Thanksgiving Day Race (10K) in Cincinnati, OH. It is something like the third oldest race in the country. I ran it with over 12,500 other people. It was a madhouse. Some random thoughts from the experience:

1. It was my first race of that size. I was prepared for the delay at the start. I was prepared for the bridges. I was not, however prepared for the people who decided to walk 3 and 4 across in the middle of the street. MOVE THE F*CK over to one side people!

2. It’s not supposed to be that warm (mid 50s) in Cincinnati in November.

3. I’m still impressed with Cincy’s skyline.

I wasn’t racing the race. My schedule called for a 6 miler that day so I just ran the thing. Finished in 1:04:09 by my watch and was very satisfied, especially when I checked my time from the first 10k back in 2004 (the Butte to Butte, killer first mile) and the time was 1:00:54 and at the end of it I thought I was going to literally fall over dead. All in all a good time. Nice race t-shirt even if I thought it was going to be a technical one.

Rest of the weekend was great. Great food Thursday. Great food Friday: lunch at Pleasant Ridge Chili (2 cheese coneys and an order of gravy cheese and fries) then dinner with friends at the Boathouse. T’s first experience there, and of course she loved it.

Got some Skyline on the way home Saturday. Watched some football Saturday night.

Got my 12 miles in today.

Back to work tomorrow.

No comments: