Monday, November 06, 2006

The Road to the Pig

180 days. Roughly 6 months. That’s how much time until the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on May 6, 2007. Why is this important you might ask? Well, that is the “goal” race that I am aiming for this spring. Yes, I might be crazy.

I’ve planned out the first two months (November starting tomorrow and December) of my training plan. It’s back to basics. Slow runs to increase my aerobic capacity and slowly increasing the mileage. Should be a fun 8 weeks here in Grand Rapids as winter approaches!

The good thing is, we are probably going to be joining the YMCA (discount through GVSU – way to go T!) so I will at least have some refuge when the really nasty stuff gets here.

One of the lessons I learned from the half marathon is that I need to stick to my training plan. I really got into a bad habit of rationalizing missing runs. I need to improve in this area or bad things will happen as I get deeper into training.

Like the half marathon, I’m going to lock myself in – registering early, that way I’m committed to the race. Also it will be nice opportunity to see my parents, some friends in the area, and to meet up with some really cool people from the 30’s thread on Cool Running.

Hope whoever (still not sure who) is reading this will enjoy the journey with me. No, the blog won’t be solely about me training. I’ll throw some other stuff in as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope so. I'm really getting winded by all the proxy training that I have been doing.

I'm still reading. Interview went well. We will see, likely by Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

K-
I do not want to be rude but I finally visited your blog. Not a blogger myself so it is interesting to see how it all works. Congrats on the 1/2 Marathon.
We had our morning ATC meeting at Allan Bros. yesterday and thought of you guys and how things are going so I thought I would check your blog.
Things are well here. Talk to you soon.

Maria said...

Go Kevin Go! The Pig will be a fine marathon debut. Give us all the training nitty gritty here and best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

cool...this flying pig marathon will be my first and i also live in michigan. It will have some cold long runs