Monday, August 16, 2010

Really?

***Warning***

***Warning***

This post will be about overt religious acts and the sporting world, this topic might offend, and please read with caution and the knowledge that this is my opinion, and my opinion only.

So I'm watching the Bengals-Broncos preseason game last night on the NFL Network.  Much better performance by the Bengals, but I noticed something strange.  Every time the Broncos punter, Britton Colquitt, punted he would run off the field pointing both fingers up at the sky.  Now, I know I'm making an assumption here, but it seemed to me that he was indicating some sort of acknowledgement to God.

Really?

Does God care that you just did your job?  Punting.  That's what Pat Bowlen is paying you to do.  Colquitt didn't boom an 85 yard bomb of a punt that was downed at the 1 yard line.  It was pretty routine punt that was returned for a bunch of yards by Shipley of the Bengals.

First of all any type of celebration after the completion of a play annoys me, so I'm not just picking on the Fellowship of Christian Athletes crowd here, but constantly drawing attention to your religion gets old.  Quickly.

Let your actions of every day life be the example.  If someone asks you about your religion, then they're giving you free reign to expound.  But stop the overused, trite gestures.  Please.

1 comment:

EC said...

AMEN, Brother!


I just couldn't resist.