Thursday, April 09, 2009

Randomness

Here are some things that were bouncing around my head on my run this morning, in no particular order of appearance or importance:
  • The citizens of Grand Rapids are lazy arses. We have choices as to what garbage pick-up service we use, private companies or the city. T and I use the city. What we don't have to pay for is recycling. All you have to do is go by the sanitation department and pick up the recycling bins. Free 'o charge recycling service. I ran by a house today that used a company besides the city for their trash. 80%+ of the stuff at the curb was easily recyclable. I don't care what your political affiliation is, get off your lazy ass and recycle.
  • Why is there such a dislike (almost used the word hatred but thought better of it) of Nike in the running community? See this thread on runnersworld.com's forum. Talk about snark-central. Maybe I'm biased the other way (I wear nikes. They feet my feet really well because they're built on a low volume last and my foot is low volume.) but it seems to me that you're not a real runner unless you wear asics, or mizuno, or something else. I think it's a personal preference and we're all free to choose, but stop running down a company for trying to be innovative. And stop bashing a company that helped introduce running to the general population. If you know the history of the company you know that it was through Blue Ribbon Sports that asics got their foot in the door of the running shoe market.
  • It was beautiful out today. No wind. Why can't it be like that when I have a baseball game to work.
  • I'm feeling under prepared for the marathon.

The most important thing about today's run? I almost didn't run. I was sitting on the couch watching old episodes of "The West Wing" on bravo and came very close to not running. But I got up, got dressed and headed out the door. About .25 of a mile into my run I realized that I wanted to run today. I wanted to run not because I felt obligated due to a goal race quickly approaching or because I'm beholden to a training plan. I wanted to run because I wanted to be outside and I wanted to run. It was that feeling that made today's run great, the fact that the run felt good and the weather was nice was just icing on the cake.

3 comments:

solarpowered said...

Huh. I agree with all of your running thoughts listed. I'm feeling I may be under prepared for the marathon, too.

And yet, like you, I still want to run... :)

Frankie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frankie said...

I must not be a real runner, I dont wear Asics or Mizunos =). I agree Kevin about bagging on Nike. Whats up with that? While I dont wear their shoes ( I have never been able to find a pair that fits just right ) I do wear their apparel. Just weird so many people feel the need to bag on Nike.

Good on you for getting out and running instead of watching West Wing!