Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Obstacles and Excuses

I just want to state for the record:  I f*cking hate snow.  Snow is wonderful in the mountains where you can ski, snowboard, or snowshoe.  Snow is beautiful if the amount of snow pack determines how much water, and maybe even electricity your co-op can produce in the spring/summer when it melts.  It's perfect for getting kids out of school occasionally for that wonderful experience of sledding if you have a hill big enough.  I love that kind of snow.

The kind that currently blankets the area, that's the kind I hate.  We've had snow on the ground since the first part of December.  Luckily it hasn't snowed in the last 10-14 days substantially, however the daytime high temp hasn't even approached the thawing point so none of the snow on the ground has melted.  Running outside in the cold I can handle, slipping and falling on my ass not so much.

I'm tired of running on the TM.  Really, really freakin' tired of running on the TM.  I even enjoyed the run I did last week on the indoor track (9 laps = 1 mile and I ran a total of 5 miles) going around in circles more than I have running on the TM lately.

Combine all of the above I-hate-the-current-conditions-funk with real life getting in my way it would be an understatement of epic proportions to say I've had a craptastic week of running.

What do I mean by real life getting in the way?
  • crappy days at work, be it you or your spouse or your friends that require company to commiserate with and beers
  • said beers leading to horrible nights of sleep - or if you want to be technical you might be able to call it passing out
  • having to work all day after the aforementioned crappy night of sleep, and being hungover
  • deciding to consume approximately three days worth of crappy food in one day
Some of those were bad decisions on my part and some were things beyond my control, but they all converged to throw a giant monkey-wrench into my plans.

I just need to learn to make better decisions at certain times and to stop sabotaging myself.  'Cause Toledo is only 13 weeks away.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I really feel for you stuck on the TM, I seriously could not handle it. Are your roads clear? Maybe even just streets in the subdivision that would allow a short loop repeated a number of times as your plan dictates?

Don't beat yourself up, you know you're a bit off course but you also know how to correct it. Good luck!!!