Friday, August 29, 2008

Frustrations...

Remember this post?  Well I left out a part.  Seems that in addition to the blood work being positive for strep it also showed a reactivation of the Epstein-Barr Virus, better known as the virus that causes mono, that could have been a result of the strep or just an appearance on its own.

But, see the thing is, I've never been diagnosed with mono.  So after long conversation with my Doc, she thinks I either had it and went undiagnosed or I've been exposed to it through work...I am around a lot of sick kids through out the year after all.

It fits with the other pieces:  feeling worn down, feeling constantly tired no matter how much I sleep, need extra days to recover from runs, etc.

Now I just gotta figure out a way to successfully train for Chicago with this, 'cause I can't get a refund!

Or maybe I'm just looking for a reason why my running has fallen off here lately...not sure which.  All I know is it feels like for every step I take forward I end up taking two backwards and it's really starting to frustrate me.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Nutz!

Perhaps it's time to retool the schedule a bit, making just the quality workouts a priority, getting recovery runs done and bumping up the cross training ????

How's your nutrition been? Both pre/during/post runs and in general? I find that really focusing on just whole foods aids in ramping my energy levels back up.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

That sucks Kevin. Hope you can figure out a way to take care of yourself and still get in the training that you need to for Chicago.

Frankie said...

Kev that blows. Taking care of yourself is priority one. I agree with Maria, that might be a good plan. Im sure everything will work out for the best. Hang in there!

Antoinette said...

Ah man! I will also agree with Maria. Think about just taking in the marathon for the fun and experience as opposed to performance cause we're still gonna party arty at the end no matter what!

You're going to smack me for suggesting this, but check out Hal Higdons senior marathon program. It's super gentle and will get you across the finish in one piece.