Sunday, March 23, 2008

Who Do I Run For?

During the last two years I’ve become an avid listener to the podcast Phedippidations. Produced by a middle aged, middle of the pack, slightly asthmatic runner (his words, not mine) in Massachusetts this podcast for runners of all levels has become a constant companion on my long runs.

Today on my run I listened to episode #135 entitled “Who Do You Run For?” and as I traversed the streets of Grand Rapids this Easter morning I began to think about that exact question. After spending the rest of the day completing tasks around the house I thought I’d blog about my answers. So here goes:

T – I run for my wife. I want to do to whatever I can to make sure my days on this planet are plentiful, but that’s not it. I run because she inspires me. Her own running impresses me to no end, because it isn’t easy for her. She battles her own body – asthma – on every run but she doesn’t quit. If she can push through that kind of thing to make the progress she has in the last year, then I surely can get my lazy ass out of bed and get my miles in. Thanks love for everything and then some.

My mom – because she can’t. My mom is battling, successfully at the moment, cancer for the second time. I wish I possessed even a fraction of the strength she faces her disease with. If she can deal with that, then I can among other things, quit bitching about the hills where we live now.

Friends – you know who you are, whether in the virtual world or not, all you encourage me no matter what your level of expertise.

Finally, I run for myself. It gives me a sense of control in my often-chaotic life. It reduces stress, it’s made me healthier (one of these days I’m going to find a picture of me from the summer of 2000), and most importantly it’s provided me a sense of community. I’ve mentioned the forum before (links over to the right) but it truly is a community of love and support. I run for myself because I want to be the best version of me I can.

No comments: