Friday, March 21, 2008

Question?

I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not that religious, so I'm turning to anyone else out there in the blogosphere to answer me this question:

I know how Easter Sunday is chosen each year, it's the first Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox...which on the surface smacks of a Pagan type holiday/festival celebrating the return of the growing season to me...but if we are commemorating the death of Jesus Christ why isn't it celebrated the same day every year?

2 comments:

Antoinette said...

I do not have the answers, but I could have sworn that many Christian holidays were scheduled around existing pagan holidays in order to make converting them easier.

Anonymous said...

Nettie's on the right track. Easter is linked to Jewish Passover, which was observed in relation to the equinox and moon thing. So darn many calendars back then, hard to agree, so astronomy was the most consistent.

It's easier to convert people if you keep their traditions (mostly) intact.

Happy easter, KP.

--erin