Sunday, September 17, 2006

Change of Seasons

Ahhhh, I think fall is upon us here in West Michigan. Much anticipated by me at least. Leaves changing color. The crispness in the air. Have always been a Fall/Winter fan. Not sure I'm ready for the first snow just yet though.

Speaking of "West Michigan", I've noticed that is how this part of the state is referenced in conversation. "I'm from West Michigan" or something like that, not "Western Michigan". I wonder if that is because there is a Western Michigan University and not everyone wants to be referenced as a Bronco? I know I wouldn't.

Not sure how many people are actually reading this blog - or how many from Michigan are reading it, but need some help. Looking for some information on outdoor/hiking opportunities here in West Michigan. I can find plenty of info on the UP (that's the Upper Peninsula for all the non-mitten* residents out there) but so far little on this area. Schneider, if you're reading this put your strong Google-foo to work for me!

*The mitten: it is a little known fact to non-residents of Michigan that everyone, and I mean every human on the planet with a hand, carries with them a map of Michigan. The non-UP portion of the state resembles a mitten (or a hand) with the thumb facing to the right. You ask someone where they are from, they whip out there "map" and point to a spot on their hand. Last time I checked though, my hands don't have a scale, cities, roads, or other reference points. It can be confusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, are you from like the hamate region of the mitten, or what?