Sunday, September 25, 2011

6700 Mile Service Appointment

Ugh...what a fortnight.

I'll go into some of the gory details later but let's just say that the last 14 days have not been to kind.

First, I rolled my ankle, then I had an urgent trip to Cincinnati (that part will be later), then an early departure back to Grand Rapids so I could keep an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.

That's right, surgeon.  Not for an athlete, or T, but me.

It took him about 2 minutes of doing a physical exam, stressing my ankle before he agreed with me that I need a Brostrum procedure because my ankle is trashed.  The stress x-rays only made the diagnosis easier - let's put it this way:  I'm one awkward step off a curb from a fracture-dislocation.

Surgery is scheduled for Oct 18.  22 days from now.  Two days after the Grand Rapids Half Marathon, which I'm still running but thanks to all of the recent upheaval I doubt will be the kind of effort I was hoping for back at the first of June.  Oh well...more important things on my plate now.

1 comment:

solarpowered said...

I'm highly likely to take a wrong step off a curb -- that surgery would have to be on my docket, for sure. Lots of luck for a speedy, healthy, recovery.

Until then, hugs for all you've been through lately! And while you think the effort on the 16th won't be your best, the mental boost of just being able to be out there may make the day better than you think.