Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Only One Way Out Of The World"

Interesting title huh? Comes from the song "Why I Am" by the Dave Matthews Band and is extremely fitting for a blog post where I sum up the events of the last 6 weeks or so....

We said good-bye to my Mom on Tuesday. Her battle with cancer ended on Saturday, March 20, 2010 at approximately 11:05 a.m. The latest rounds of the battle were fought over the last 12 months or so, and while she fought valiantly, ultimately that bastard of a disease won. Her chemotherapy treatments really took their toll on her since about August or September and six weeks ago she received her last treatment. After that it was just a matter of time, since there is only one way out of this life...

So you can understand that things sort of fell by the wayside as my family began to adjust to, and cope with the reality of her final days. I was able to have a great visit with about two weeks before she passed, and I am grateful I took advantage of that visit to tell her how much I loved and appreciated her efforts into helping make me the person I am today.

She celebrated her 72nd birthday last Thursday. Late that afternoon her condition warranted moving to the hospice care facility where she would spend her last hours surrounded by her friends and family. She left this world the way she had expressed to me that she wanted to: she went to sleep and didn't wake up.

I'm still coming to grips with the gravity of the situation, and I miss her dearly, but I am very thankful that her ordeal is over.

The event that resonates the most with me from Tuesday: Over the last few years my mother gather with a group of women that she attended elementary school with, that's correct, elementary school, for lunch on a regular basis. I had a great conversation with one of those women who related to me how much she admired my mother's strength as she confronted the disease. That meant so much to me...that and she told me that my Mom was extremely proud of me. What more could a person want?

She leaves behind a husband of 48 years, three children, and three grandchildren. She touched many lives. She will be remembered by many.

I will miss her. I will try to carry her spirit with me and demonstrate it in my daily life. What better memorial could there be than that?

4 comments:

solarpowered said...

That is the best memorial.

I didn't get to meet your mother, but had I, I would have told her what a wonderful friend, husband, man she raised.

Hugs, peace, strength.

Maria said...

Your mother has left quite the legacy. Hoping you continue to heal and live in the ways you know best.

Hugs!

Joe said...

Kevin - Your mother sounded like a very extraordinary person, and I think her legacy is in very good hands with you, your siblings and her grandchildren. I wish you well in your healing in the days to come

Kris said...

What a beautiful memoriam. (((hugs)))