Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1,000 and counting

I started running in 2003 in order to shed a few pounds for our wedding. I drove around Albany, Oregon, where we lived in the car and plotted some routes. I ran a couple of miles here, a couple of miles there, but nothing really consistent. Wedding came and passed. We moved to Eugene, Oregon, later that summer and you can't help but be caught up in the running vibe of Tracktown, USA, so I kept at it. I really didn't start taking it serious (logging miles, having a training plan, etc) until I decided to run the Butte to Butte 10k on July 4, 2004. I know I bought new shoes right after it and logged just over 70 miles the rest of that year. That's right 70 miles in six months.

My running started to take off in 2005...I ran a few more races, ran the Butte to Butte again that summer, this time with T. I started to feel better; I had a training plan and running gadgets. I logged 350 miles in 2005.

I set a goal for myself, and I think T's reaction was one of utter surprise - to run 600 miles in 2006. I planned on running a couple of 10ks, ran some 5ks, started to think about running a half marathon in 2006. Things were going great, right up until the point when we moved across the country. Running seemed to take a back seat to real life, plus trying to get used to running in the heat and humidity of August was a challenge. I'd signed up for the half marathon in Grand Rapids in October. I was woefully undertrained, but went through with it. I liked the experience enough to keep at it. Finished the year with 679 miles, so I accomplished my goal.

2007 I set a new goal. 1000 miles. 321 miles more than I ran in all of 2006. T thought I was crazy again. Started off the year with an injury due to running on the ice/snow. Had to change my plans and only run the half marathon at the Flying Pig in May (which turned out to be the best thing), met some of the great 30s group I call friends. Decided after the Pig that if I was going to meet my goal and have some success with the absurd pastime I need to really focus. I've run more races this year, setting personal records, met more of the 30s, logged more miles.

Why the rambling recap? Today I met my goal for 2007. 1001 miles as of today.

I've met my goal, so it's time for a new one…the goal is now 1200 for 2007. I’ll let you know what the goal is for 2008 in a few weeks. A hint though – 26.2.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Congrats on the 1K.

26.2? You will beat me to it. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the 1k!! It's great to hear you started running and continued on and have set another bigger goal for this coming year.

home fitness